Monday, February 6, 2012

USCIS I-800A FedEx'd! And a Minor Tangent

     After finishing our home study (hooray, we were approved as acceptable adoptive parents!), the next step was to fill out and submit the USCIS I-800A "Application for Determination of Suitability to Adopt a Child from a Convention Country" with all of the necessary supporting documents: home study, copy of marriage license, copy of birth certificates.  Oh, and our agency recommended including a photo of Luka and a summary of his medical issues in the cover letter with a request that they expedite the application so he can come home and get treatment as soon as possible.

    I put off getting the photos printed and finally did it today with 1-hour development.  In order to be fully honest, I have to say I delayed because I was reluctant to expose Luka to any kind of stares or comments, even from the photo developer at Walgreens.  We are all mad about him but we are not so silly to think that he won't get second glances, averted eyes or uncomfortable shifting in weight when he's here and out in public.  Even the looks of pity will be bad enough.  That is the part of parenting Luka that I fear for him and will break my heart.  I'm already a mother and I know how much it hurts me when my other kids' feelings are hurt no matter what the silly reason (ex. Iain tells Millie she's a meanie and it's a flood of tears).

    Of course, we want him to go out in public proud and to heck with what anyone else thinks.  We will model that attitude ourselves but I know it will be hard to mask those feelings and always respond with light and airy answers to ignorantly hurtful questions.  But, as Matt is always reminding me, "What? Would you rather he avoid it all and stay hidden away in an institution his whole life?"

Ok, Back to the I-800A- 
     Filling that form out itself wasn't hard but I'll be honest with you--every time I looked at it and went through my supporting documents, I was sure I had something wrong and found myself totally confused.  I'm pretty sure I did it right and I was determined that it go out today.   Thanks to the help of Rachel at Matt's office, one of the most amazing paralegals on the planet, I did it!  And it will be delivered to USCIS tomorrow, February 7, 2012.  Luka's 1st birthday.

    Send us some prays, good thoughts, meditation vibes, or whatever your belief system allows our way that  the USCIS has mercy on us and expedites our application!

No comments:

Post a Comment