Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Adventures and Paperwork



I have to start with--Lukasz is ours!  Friday July 20, 2012, was the last day of the appeal period and the court decree was issued that afternoon in Lomza.  We started our whirlwind week of passport and visa processing today by driving two and a half hours to Lomza to get certified copies of the court decree, the new birth certificates losing Matt and I as Lukasz's parents and Lukasz' Polish passport.


























Tomorrow, Lukasz has an appointment with a US Embassy approved physician for his Visa medical exam and then we go immediately to the Embassy for the Visa interview and to get all documents in order for Lukasz' Certificate of Citizenship to be process and mailed to us after our arrival in the US.  It really is amazing that the act of touching US soil is final requirement in the process of Lukasz' obtaining citizenship.

Last Week's Adventures


Lukasz and I were lucky to have several little trips last week, along with the usually wanderings around Warsaw broken up with naps for both of us.  Ahhhh, I'll miss taking an afternoon nap when I get home.

Camp

Our first adventure was a trip to a rural town outside of Warsaw.  On Wednesday, July 18, 2012, Lukasz and I had an exciting day of adventures with our in-country rep's 20 year old son, Timothy, and his friends visiting his childhood (and as a counselor) Christian camp in Zakosciele, about 1.5 hours outside of Warsaw.

Actually, the adventure started before we even left the street in front of my apartment.  I was early coming down from the apartment so walked several blocks to my favorite local coffee shop for a Mocha.  I came back to the building just in time to see Timothy and his "friend who is a girl" walking across the street to meet me.  Then, I saw two Polish Police officers intercepting them.  They were directed to follow the police back to the car.  Not knowing what to do, I followed.  I need to mention that I have often seen these police officers from my apartment window stopping people on the sidewalk and questioning them. Because I could never figure out why they were stopping people, I always just waited for them to leave before I left the apartment.  The though of being asked "for my papers" just scared me.

Timothy and Kasha were asked for their "papers", meaning identification.  Kasha is only 16 but apparently once you are old enough for pre-school here, you get an identification card that you mush have at all times.  They were run through the Police computer system for--drum roll, please--jaywalking.  They crossed in the middle of the block (they parked directly across the street from my building and walked right over) instead of going to the corner.  It took 35 minutes of questioning and requisitioning for the same answers to verify the information on the identification and to get a clearance from the Police system and a warning from the the Police.

I took these photos on the sly because I didn't know how the
police would react.

Timothy, taking this SO seriously.


I'll admit it.  I was sweating it out.  There was no way I wanted to accompany my friends to a relatively (less than 25 years) post -communist police station.  I wasn't in trouble because I met up with them after they were stopped but I had to go with them if they went.  First, I was the only "real" adult and felt I would owe that to Timothy's mom.  Second, they were my ride!

See, Lukasz was pretty concerned, too.

After we were given the all clear/stern warning about crossing in the wrong place in a predominantly pedestrian tourist area, we loaded up and headed out.  It was at this point that I realized that in my flustered and confused state in joining my friends while they talked to the jaywalking police, I had actually jaywalked in the same place to reach them.  Luckily, the police didn't notice with their attention on Timothy and Kasha.

Lukasz loves to walk, especially if he can get
two people to hold his hands.
At the camp we met many of Timothy and Kasha's friends, lots of Americans from various places in the US who were teaching classes and working as ministers at the camp.  I observed some of the classes and then we went to eat dinner in the little town.  Afterwards we went to a little stand to have the traditional and favorite Polish fair food--a rectangular waffle with whipped cream and other toppings.  They sell these everywhere; at the zoo, in little food stalls in town, etc.  I had not tried one yet.  I fed the whipped cream to Lukasz who loved it and the waffle was really good, just like our waffles at home.

Trying out soccer (or "football") for the second time.


Just being cute.

Less than thrilled riding the Cars
mechanical toy

The three college kids on a carousel.




















We went back to the camp for 8:00 service because the various classes were going to perform and then we headed home.  Got home at around 11:00 p.m.  Exhausted.

Warsaw Zoological Gardens

On Saturday, Timothy drove us to the Warsaw Zoo.  Very beautiful zoo with large, old trees.  THe grounds are expansive.   I learned that, among the many stories of the resistance in Warsaw, that the couple who ran the zoo during the Nazi occupation used the zoo to hide Jews.  They would hide them in their home and in the buildings on the grounds but would also dress them in staff uniforms and hide them in plain sight of the Nazis who frequented the zoo due to the Nazi's fascination with exotic animals.  The more I learn about this city during the war, the more I respect it's people.  They couldn't do much overtly, but so many did their best to covertly subvert.

Highlights of the zoo included the storks.  Storks are very common in Poland and, according to Grace (our agency rep) they are considered good luck.  They build large nests on platforms all over Poland, some of the platforms are man made specifically to encourage storks to build their nests and also because storks are notoriously bad at building structurally sound nests.  However, Timothy contradicts his mother and says that storks are not considered good luck but are a nuisance.  Both agree that Poles tell the same little story about babies being delivered by storks.

Thundering Up the place!
Again, less than thrilled.  We've got to work on that.





The waffle with whipped cream.

Lukasz really loves Timothy.  He holds his
hand up to him and screams until Timothy holds it.


A Few Other Observations


I have confirmed with my own eyes!  Men in Europe DO carry murses!




Lukasz experienced his first fountain wade in the Old Town Square.  He was less than thrilled.


Old Town Square, Mermaid fountain.  At least Lukasz and this girl
had clothes on.  Kids in Poland tend to run through splash parks
and fountains in just their underwear.


















There was a Police Academy graduation ceremony in the Royal Castle square on Saturday.  While we waited for Timothy to pick us up for the zoo we got to see the various Police bands start their march through Old Town.  Do our police departments have bands?  If not, they should.


Sometimes, you just play so hard you pass out.

No comments:

Post a Comment