Thursday, April 5, 2012

Getting Close to our Fundraising Goal

Fundraising

We just got a total from Brittany's Hope on our fundraising (see right side of page).  This includes the proceeds from the garage sale and other donations.  SO excited!  Thank you to everyone!

They do not tell us the amounts that individuals donate, just the total for everyone, and the names and addresses so we can send out personal thank you's--which I will!

As soon as I figure out a way to put everyone's name on the Polish flag that doesn't involve using my own non-existant art skills, I'll post a picture of the flag with your names.

Update on My Nervous Breakdown

I am still very worried but trying to keep my mind off of the process and the innumerable possible outcomes. Matt, of course, is calm as can be and I have been reminded by many that I must pray to be at peace with whatever happens and that everything really does happen for the best or at least for a reason that I won't understand right away.

After I my last post, my agency emailed me back the following:

Susan,

Poland won't let the foster family adopt him due to the severity of his needs unless they happen to be independently wealthy.  The Catholic center knows he will not get the surgeries he needs in Poland and will here.  I don't think you have anything to worry about!  I can't imagine how someone wouldn't fall in love with him though!  I think a letter from your priest would be a great idea.  We can send that right away.  

I think you are about right on the timeline.  Grace is planning on being in the US sometime this spring (her daughter is giving birth to her first grandchild) but we are going to make sure that this does not slow or impede your travel.  

Nina

I have analyzed this email about a million times.  I don't know what to think.  I know that it is true that Luka cannot get the surgeries he needs in Poland.  There are no qualified craniofacial teams in Poland.  I was told this by several international craniofacial and plastic surgery associations when I was researching medical teams for Luka.  But maybe the desire of the foster family would outweigh the medical issues.

I have come to peace with the idea of the foster family falling in love with Luka and wanting to adopt him.  It would be wonderful for Luka to have more than one family wanting him and as long as he is wanted and adopted, I cannot complain.

My biggest fear at this point is that they will simply decide that they do not want US to adopt him because they think Luka's medical issues will be too much for us with four children already.  I will really need support if they decide not to let us adopt him and they don't have anyone else ready, willing and waiting for him.  We know we can handle it.  Our home study says we can handle it.  Our experience shows we can handle a child with time and cost intensive issues.  Our research shows that we are prepared.  But who knows.

I will talk to our priest about a letter but not until next week.  I think it is unfair to ask him to write a letter for us while he is in the middle of Holy Week, one of the busiest times of the year for a priest.  At least I know I have until April 16 since that's when they will (hopefully) be taking our file to the Catholic commission.

It's going to be a rough 3 or 4 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment